Brussels Sprouts and Hummus Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Packed with chickpeas, apples, Brussels sprouts, and hummus, this sandwich is healthy with a capital H.
This brussels sprout + hummus grilled cheese sandwich highlights one of my favorite fall vegetables and uses a garlic herb hummus spread in place of mayo. It’s protein-packed, healthy and vegan (yep, no cheese despite the name!) and comes together in minutes!
Preparation 10 mins | Cook Time 5 mins | Serves 4
- 2 cups brussels sprouts, finely chopped or shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained + rinsed
- 1 bottle Garlic Herb Sabra Spreads
- Salt, pepper + garlic powder to taste (I used 1/2 teaspoon each)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 8 slices whole grain bread (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 4 slices vegan cheese (optional)
- Heat the oil over medium heat and add the brussels sprouts. Saute until tender, about 3 – 4 minutes.
- While the brussels sprouts are cooling, add the chickpeas to a large bowl along with ⅓ cup of Garlic Herb Sabra Spreads (or hummus of choice). Mash this mixture with a fork until most of the chickpeas are broken down, but some large chunks remain. Add salt, pepper and garlic powder and mix to combine.
- Add the brussels sprouts into the chickpea salad and mix again until combined.
- Spread 2 teaspoon of coconut oil onto the outer sides of the bread. Place bread coconut oil side down and build the sandwiches. Place 1 – 2 tablespoons of the Sabra Spread onto each slice of bread and smooth with a knife. Top on side with a large scoop of chickpea-brussels mixture and flatten it down with a fork. Top with sliced apple, vegan cheese and the other slice of bread.
- Cook sandwiches over medium-low heat until golden brown and crispy, about 2 – 3 minutes. Flip and cook again until crispy.
- Slice sandwiches in half and enjoy!
To learn more about the new Sabra Spreads and to see if they’re in a store near you, visit sabra.com/hummus!
Respectfully borrowed from www.self.com